Tuesday, April 7, 2015

Too Many Theories

After having listened to episode 11, I'm not sure what to think about these new "rumors" about Adnan. When I heard that Koenig said she was going to talk about some game-changing parts of Adnan, I expected something, well, more wild than the stealing incident. Overall, within the episode, I'm still no closer to figuring out whether or not I think Adnan killed Hae, and how/why.

As for the stealing incident, on first impression, I get it - there's something really sketchy about stealing money from one's mosque, money that's coming from the pockets of people who expect the money to go out to help people. It seems like the kind of action that could potentially come from a person who is ultimately a very cold person. On the other hand, the way Adnan admits to the story, about how it happened in eighth grade and it was more shenanigans than anything. The story just doesn't seem significant enough to constitute the big words Koenig said at the beginning of the episode. So, I sat there wondering if it was just Koenig over dramatizing.

Then, there was something that sat with me. There was something off about how emotional Adnan got when Koenig wanted to talk about the stealing. Why get that defensive about an incident that wasn't even that bad? Why didn't Koenig know about this "casual story" about Adnan, if it was as casual and well known? It'd seem suspicious.

Overall, in my little knowledge, I don't see Adnan as a psychopath. I don't see him as that perpetual liar, manipulative guy that those who really felt like Adnan killed Hae. I get the feeling that Adnan's English teacher and friends got, that if anything, it was definitely a crime of passion. It would fit with the way Hae died, the strangling. I'm quite entertained by the Norman Bates dissociative state theory that the forensic psychologist mentioned. In fact, that would seem like a good theory in that it would explain how Adnan could just kill Hae but still be his normal, charming self otherwise. It would also explain why Adnan has these lapses of emotional control when talking to Koenig.

However, the dissociate state thing doesn't fit with Jay's theory. According to Jay, Adnan was talking about the murder, seemingly savoring it. I mean, if he's disassociating to that extent, maybe my Norman Bates joke isn't that off.

Ultimately, I'm so lost in theories, and I'd give anything for this to have a clear cut end. If only it had just been a fictional crime story based loosely on the events of Adnan's case...

Also, if you've got some time and want to read more about crime and amnesia, here's an article:

http://www.jaapl.org/content/35/4/469.full

1 comment:

  1. I think your reference to Norman Bates is an interesting one! While obviously an extreme comparison, and potentially one that makes Adnan's story into more entertainment then fact - I think it definitely strikes a chord and recalls a part of the episode that I found really interesting: that is the discussion surrounding amnesia and the convicted not remembering if they had perpetrated the crime.I thought this was a really new angle to come at it from and one I really hadn't considered before this episode.

    At the same time while this amnesia-theory does explain how Adnan has been such a great person in prison these last 15 years it does feel like a bit of a stretch and in a way makes up what seems to me as a final push for answers. As you mentioned, I too at this point want some answers which are hard to give seeing as this is a real world case. Hence, I feel like Keonig is trying to throw some other potential theories out there for the listener to grab onto in order to reach some closure.

    I also agree with Sara (Episode 11: Remaining Impartial) that I think Keonig did a much better job this week with remaining impartial. That being said I found it very frustrating at the beginning when she was talking about all of the rumors that she heard but she didn't mention explicitly what any of the rumors were! I understand that this was probably done as if she had said what the rumors were that would be lending them an air of authority and truth. However, as a listener I am now still trying to imagine just what WAS said about Adnan seeing as she made it seem as though people accused him of doing some terrible things.

    All in all I actually enjoyed this week's episode and I'm excited to see how Keonig concludes the series next week!

    ReplyDelete